7/22/2017 Sharon Where Are You?

Tell us what interesting thing you saw on the web-cams.

7/22/2017 Sharon Where Are You?

Unread postby Rick Calkins » Sat Jul 22, 2017 5:02 am

Seeking Sharon 1.jpg
Early morning in the Chama yards.
Seeking Sharon 1.jpg (67.84 KiB) Viewed 4662 times
Seeking Sharon 2.jpg
Not much to see in the North.
Seeking Sharon 2.jpg (59.69 KiB) Viewed 4662 times
Sharon disclosed in a recent post that she would make an appearance in Chama today. Now the task is to find her,

[quote="Sharon Evans"]It is just after 5 am in Chama and dawn is starting to break over the town and yard as a new day begins. This will be my last posting of the activities until I return from my trip to Chama for work session E. Should pick the activities up again on 8/6/17 3 weeks from today.
Last edited by Rick Calkins on Sat Jul 22, 2017 5:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Honored to have Friend's membership ranking of "Conductor."
Rick Calkins
Engineer
Engineer

Re: 7/22/2017 Sharon Where Are You?

Unread postby Rick Calkins » Sat Jul 22, 2017 6:33 am

Rick Calkins
Engineer
Engineer

Unread postby Rick Calkins » Sat Jul 22, 2017 7:33 am

463 gets washed and 488 having a long drink. Quality of video increases with the amount and quality of light. Enjoy a late breakfast and watch the action at the Chama Railroad yard. Rick
Rick Calkins
Engineer
Engineer

Unread postby Rick Calkins » Sat Jul 22, 2017 8:53 am

Yes Virginia, there will be a double header today. That is big news, since it normally only happens to accommodate a favorable increase in ridership. 488 appears to be taking the lead and 463 will be assisting to pull the load up the grade to Cumbres. Word has filtered down that Sharon can probably be spotted waving happily from the back of the last parlor car. Remember to wave back.
Rick Calkins
Engineer
Engineer

Unread postby Rick Calkins » Sat Jul 22, 2017 9:43 am

216 Double Header pulls out of Chama Depot at 10:00 AM and leaves the yard at 10:03 AM. The quick double blasts of the whistle by each engineer indicates the brake tests have been passed. Looked, Looked, and Looked. But, did not see Sharon waving from the vestibule of the parlor car. What a disappointment, but having watched Sharon post to this site for the past year, I believe that missing the self-assigned task was for good reasons. Meet you at Osier for lunch? Well, maybe we can do it the next trip.

Stay Safe and Rock On
Rick Calkins
Engineer
Engineer

Unread postby Jonathan Cordova » Sat Jul 22, 2017 11:15 am

July 22 – Woodstock on the train with Chris Collins, John Tribute – 1960’s dress or Steampunk!!! today sunset dinner train
im a friends member and d&s is mostly where my heart is
Jonathan Cordova
Engineer
Engineer

Unread postby Sharon Evans » Sat Jul 22, 2017 12:49 pm

Well, when the train pulled out, I was down near Jute's tree to shoot it coming by there. I will wave from the parlor tonight as we leave town.
Sharon Evans
Conductor
Conductor

Unread postby Frank Smith » Sat Jul 22, 2017 2:33 pm

Sharon said she would be on the vestibule of the Parlor Car on the Sunset Dinner Train @ 5pm. 4pm here in AZ because we don't go on Daylight Savings time. I have it on my reminders.
Frank Smith
Fireman
Fireman

Unread postby Frank Smith » Sat Jul 22, 2017 2:43 pm

I am glad Sharon got to go to [Heaven On Earth] Chama. I don't miss her posts near as much as I would if you weren't doing such a great job Rick.
Frank Smith
Fireman
Fireman

Unread postby Rick Calkins » Sat Jul 22, 2017 3:19 pm

Train 215 pulled by Locomotive 489 brings in 7 cars a bit ahead of schedule. Great to hear that Sharon has caught up with us, or that we have caught up with Sharon. The train schedule on the Web Cam page does not have any trains leaving after the arrival of 215 today. However, Jonathan did some digging and informs me that the Eastbound 226 Cumbres Sunset Extra which departs at 5PM is the Train Sharon is boarding. Now we can all relax and watch one more departure before dinner. It will be great to see you on the vestibule Sharon.
Rick Calkins
Engineer
Engineer

Unread postby Rick Calkins » Sat Jul 22, 2017 4:40 pm

Yes Sharon, we all waved back! When we were kids and our parents brought us to the depot to watch the trains,it seemed natural just to wave at the passengers as the train passed. It was always rather special when the passengers waved back. Maybe that is why I feel a bit saddened when all those folks in the view car cannot see us older kids frantically waving at them. Next time you ride the Cumbres and Toltec give the cameras an exaggerated wave. It will be our signal to frantically wave back at you. Have a safe trip and have a wonderful time..

Sunset Train.jpg
From The Brochure
Sunset Train.jpg (64.6 KiB) Viewed 4543 times

John Denver.jpg
Chris Collins will have you believing that he is actually John Denver reincarnated.
John Denver.jpg (21 KiB) Viewed 4543 times

These graphics are meant to be timely in the sense that they are the background as to why we have today's train.
They are not complete, but possibly will whet your appetite to see what The Friends have stored up for the next
Special Sunset Train Extravaganza.

Please follow this link to the Sunset Train primary website for more information:

http://cumbrestoltec.com/sunset-train-entertainment/

Thanks for staying aboard.
Rick Calkins
Engineer
Engineer

Unread postby Rick Calkins » Sat Jul 22, 2017 8:33 pm

Sunset Special at Night 1.jpg
After Sunset Special Arrived
Sunset Special at Night 1.jpg (14.56 KiB) Viewed 4523 times

Sunset Special at Night 2.jpg
After Sunset Special returned home.
Sunset Special at Night 2.jpg (29.12 KiB) Viewed 4523 times

It has been a long day for the entire crew. Some will go home to rest and others will begin preparing the train for the runs tomorrow. I read an economic development report about the Sunset\Tolec and learned that at the time of the report it took 65 people to make this railroad run. Some are full time and others part time. That is not a lot of people for a large operation that meets its goals and objectives with this bare-bones staff. Not enough recognition is given to the ghost crew of volunteers and contributors who back up the railroad staff and help make the trains run on time and safely. Thanks to all you folks.

Stay Safe and Rock On
Rick and Berlinda

P.S. Goodnight Ms. Sharon wherever you are.
Rick Calkins
Engineer
Engineer

Unread postby Rick Calkins » Sat Jul 22, 2017 8:53 pm

End of a wonderful day.
Rick Calkins
Engineer
Engineer

Unread postby Paul Davenport » Sun Jul 23, 2017 10:51 am

Hey Sharon,
I'd be interested in seeing any shots you took at Jukes Tree that you'd like to share, especially any shot from east of the tree. The Friends tree/brush crew cut around the tree and on the nearby ROW last year for photography purposes and it'd be nice to see whether that work is holding up. Gotta start planning for next year.
Paul
Paul Davenport
Engineer
Engineer

Return to Web Cameras