CAMERA STATUS????

Tell us what interesting thing you saw on the web-cams.

CAMERA STATUS????

Unread postby Bill Grierson » Sat Aug 03, 2024 9:15 am

It used to be whenever there was a camera failure whether it be the sound not working or a camera down, currently the Depot Cam, there would be a response from those who have taken care of the cameras in the past. This year there are no responses from anyone. I believe all of us who enjoy the cameras, including those of us who will never have the opportunity to actually visit the RR and ride the trains, would really like to know what is planned for the future of the cameras. The posts asking about the cameras get as many as 600 views but only one response from someone who agrees with the poster :crash: :crash: . I became a 'Friends' member due to the cameras and have supported them since. If the cameras are going to be repaired or left to die out slowly I think we who enjoy them deserve to know.

Thank you for your patience,
Bill Grierson
Fireman
Fireman

Re: CAMERA STATUS????

Unread postby Farol Henkle » Sat Aug 03, 2024 3:40 pm

I agree with you. Regardless of whether one is a member or not, having ALL the camerx working, (including the CDOT cams... still showing snow) this is good sales promotion World wise. I have already contacted Jason Rose, who has helped in the past, but he lives in Texas.
Farol Henkle
Conductor
Conductor

Unread postby Bryan Hollowell » Sat Aug 03, 2024 3:48 pm

Yes, I've wondered the same thing. Thanks to all the people who have installed and maintained the cameras over the years. I realize everyone is a volunteer and have busy lives but it would be nice for someone to acknowledge there is a problem. Then to share if there is even a plan to for repairs and also to get sound back on the cameras. Would it be possible hire someone local in New Mexico to make repairs? It seems like the Friends need to evaluate whether the old model for maintaining the cameras is viable going forward into the future. Thanks for listening.
Bryan Hollowell
Brakeman
Brakeman

Unread postby Sharon Evans » Sun Aug 04, 2024 8:15 am

The individual responsible for cameras is Jason Rose, who lives in Texas. Over the past several years he has pulled back due to work and family. His last post said he would try to get up to Chama sometime during this season.
Sharon Evans
Conductor
Conductor

Unread postby Bill Grierson » Sun Aug 04, 2024 11:16 am

Thanks Sharon for that but we all know that Jason has maintained the cameras and that he now has a family the problem is that it seems like he has disappeared off the face of the earth as he no longer responds to anything here or on the Narrow Gauge Forum nor does anyone else who might actually know something.
Bill Grierson
Fireman
Fireman

Unread postby Bill Grierson » Sun Aug 04, 2024 11:19 am

Thanks for that Sharon but we know that Jason is the person who has maintained the cameras in the past and that he lives in Texas and that he now has a family it's just as though he has disappeared off of the face of the earth as he no longer responds to anything posted here nor does anyone else who used to be involved and might know something.
Bill Grierson
Fireman
Fireman

Unread postby Jerry Sullivan » Mon Aug 12, 2024 9:47 am

The down cameral at the station came up last week. It can be a problem keeping them up, especially if we do not have anyone on site. I have not heard any audio in years but I have heard there may be plans for that. In any case, my wife thinks I have an addiction. Departure is at 12 noon Eastern time and I have noticed that the trains are running pretty close to on-time returning. I did my thing as a docent from 2019-2023 but now at 85 and with the wife wanting be anywhere on vaction besides NM, I have retired. :proceed:
Jerry Sullivan
Head Brakeman
Head Brakeman

Unread postby George Stoudenmire » Wed Sep 11, 2024 9:16 am

I dont think that Jason gets paid for doing the work, or taking time off from work and family, buying his airfare, rental car, motel cost or anyother travel expense. Please read some of his post about the web cam system.

I think that Jason would welcome the help, and guide you through what needs to be done if anybody wanted to volunteer to go and do the work.

Just saying, if you are not willing to do the work, dont complain.
George Stoudenmire
Head Brakeman
Head Brakeman

Unread postby Glenn Butcher » Thu Sep 12, 2024 7:35 am

I got a solicitation for donation to the webcam fund in the mail last week. So, there is some attention...

Maintaining such as a volunteer effort is quite dicey. Special qualifications (including climbing to do electrical/comm work, not as easy as you would think), remote location (Chama.), and the rather brittleness of exterior electronic installations, almost dictates the need for a volunteer who happens to live in the area. Accordingly, funding a contractor wouldn't be cheap, likely to require travel costs from wherever they reside.

I too miss the cams when they're down. I know a bit about such, but I live 200 miles away and I've got an aversion to heights. See, hard to get these planets to align... :mrgreen:
Glenn Butcher
Brakeman
Brakeman

Return to Web Cameras