488 to the Rescue?

Tell us what interesting thing you saw on the web-cams.

488 to the Rescue?

Unread postby Dave in CA » Sat Jun 15, 2013 11:22 am

At noon today (while watching one of the many Thomas trains depart), the 488 was rather suddenly called into service. They quickly moved it out of the engine house, over to the coaling siding, received four scoops of coal in about 2 minutes, and then they high-balled out of town (towards Cumbres Pass). I'm wondering if rain and "caterpillar grease" has stalled the regular passenger train again... or something mechanical happened to the 487... ???
Dave in CA

Re: 488 to the Rescue?

Unread postby Evan West » Sat Jun 15, 2013 4:47 pm

Caterpillar Grease is the bane of our existence.
Evan West
Brakeman
Brakeman

Unread postby Pete Stagg » Sat Jun 15, 2013 7:00 pm

New Jersey Transit had a similar problem in the fall with a section of track. Their solution was a high pressure washer. My suggestion is to station a speeder with special flat at Cumbres. The flat would be equipped with a water tank and a pair of gas engine pressure washers with the nozzles mounted close to and aimed at the railhead. A typical PW has a low flow rate (1.5- 2 GPM) so the rig with a fire tank like the one we see following the train, should have enough water to clean off the bad section (I assume Coxo?) just before the Antonito bound train gets there. Friends project?
Pete Stagg

Unread postby Rich Murray » Sun Jun 16, 2013 6:05 am

I think the caterpillar problem, if my memory is correct, is a short term one. Typically by the time people start talking about it, they (the caterpillar) have stopped migrating. Usually only lasts a week or so.
Rich Murray

Return to Web Cameras