Fires

Tell us what interesting thing you saw on the web-cams.

Fires

Unread postby Frank Wills » Fri Jun 14, 2013 6:30 pm

The return train this evening was 1,1/2 hours late. I noticed something like smoke in the distant mountains and wondered if they had a fire delay ?
Frank Wills

Re: Fires

Unread postby Evan West » Fri Jun 14, 2013 6:54 pm

Good thought, but in fact it was actually the opposite.

Early morning and afternoon rain showers here, combined with a plethora of tent caterpillars greasing up the rails made the trip up the hill incredibly difficult for the train today (lots of wheels slipping).

So on one hand, its good that there was no fire, but on the other hand, no fires means no burnt up caterpillars :p

For the last couple of days coming out of Antonito the smoke from the fires has been all around town and up to Bighorn.
Evan West
Brakeman
Brakeman

Unread postby Frank Wills » Sat Jun 15, 2013 9:09 am

Good grief. How exciting would that be?
Hope you had some sand.
Frank Wills

Unread postby robert roman » Sat Jun 15, 2013 9:39 am

Frank Wills wrote:Good grief. How exciting would that be?
Hope you had some sand.

I noticed they were loading extra bags of sand on this morning's run, so I'll bet they ran a bit low yesterday. The weather's fine, so far, today.

be well,
bob roman
robert roman

Unread postby Frank Wills » Sat Jun 15, 2013 3:55 pm

Looks like the bugs got to them again. As a suggestion...why not run a steam line with nozzles in front of the leading wheels and use high pressure steam nozzles to blow and cook them off the rails?? Besides the fireman will love it cause he can really stoke 'er up!
Frank Wills

Return to Web Cameras