Sound

Tell us what interesting thing you saw on the web-cams.

Sound

Unread postby TimDavis » Wed May 28, 2014 9:19 am

Is anyone else experiencing issues with the sound from the cameras? The South camera doesn't seem to have any sound or very low volume while the North camera has has a lot of background noise....kind of a low roaring background sound, but it does pick up sound when the train goes by. It doesn't seem to happen all the time....but for the last couple of days it happens at around 9:30 local time when I log on for the daily departure.

I've fiddled with everything I can think of including the cam volume controls and my computer.....nothing seems to help. Is it just me? Any ideas?

P.S. Does anyone else notice that the South cam has a yellowish cast to the color. Again, doesn't always seem to, but has around departure time....and does at the moment, 10:18:16.

Then again, after the last few weeks, I'm happy they are on at all!!!!
TimDavis

Re: Sound

Unread postby Larry Sullivan » Wed May 28, 2014 9:30 am

Hi Tim --

The roaring sound you hear is the cooling fan for the cameras. They will come on from time to time, and soon both fans will likely go off together. There was some discussion last year of getting external microphones, but that's another expense. Perhaps one day it can happen, but for now we'll take the views even with the fan noises!

As to no sound on the South camera, that works fine for me -- check to make sure you don't have the volume down or muted for that one camera. I have found that if I mute one (the one with the fan noise), and then refresh the page for any reason both cams come back muted.

The yellowish cast on the South camera has been there each morning, Im guessing it has to do with sun angles and such. Not sure if that could be adjusted or not, but it's there for me too.
Larry Sullivan
Conductor
Conductor

Unread postby Jason Rose » Wed May 28, 2014 9:36 am

One of these years I'm going to install an external mic to give us better audio and get around the cooling fan issue. But, with a newborn in the house it's highly unlikely that I'll visit narrow gauge country this year.

It's possible that John Engs or Joe Kanocs will get this done before I'm able to return... likely in 2015.
Jason Rose
<><
Ferroequinearcheologist-in-Training
RioGrandeExplorations.net
Spring, Texas - MP 209.7 - UP Palestine Sub
"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing"
"The price of freedom is eternal vigilance" - Wendell Phillips
"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." - Sgt Stryker USMC
“Life is too short to deal with other people’s drama.” – Sgt Jason Rose USMC
Jason Rose

Unread postby TimDavis » Wed May 28, 2014 1:00 pm

Thanks guys. I can live with the fan noise and even the yellow cast.....I think the reasoning about the sun may be correct as it's now later in the day and both views match for image quality.

Did anyone else see the herd of deer in the yard around daybreak? I counted at least 7.
TimDavis

Return to Web Cameras