Filling sand domes

Tell us what interesting thing you saw on the web-cams.

Filling sand domes

Unread postby Pete Stagg » Sat Jul 13, 2013 12:23 pm

I notice the crews are now adding sand to the engine sand domes by lifting the bags with the bucket loader up to a man standing on the engine. Previously, it appeared they did this on the main, West side of the coal tipple, just off camera, by one man on the ground lifting by hand to another up on the engine. Sand still seems to be stored in the original location by the tipple. Got to be easier. I guess the sanding tower is just decoration now.
Pete Stagg

Re: Filling sand domes

Unread postby Tom Casper » Sat Jul 13, 2013 5:31 pm

Pete, I think u will find the C&TS has found it is much cheaper to by bags of procesed sand and dump them in the dome than trying to resurect the sand drying and air system to blow it in. It is like the coal tipple, nice but a bucket loader is cheaper to maintain and has more uses.

Tom C.
Later:
tom at srclry dot com
A student of the Southend RGS!
Tom Casper
Conductor
Conductor

Re: Filling sand domes

Unread postby John Cole » Sat Jul 13, 2013 9:44 pm

Over the years, I have heard stories about R/R personnel overfiring the coal sand heater stove and burning the roof on the sand house. Roger Briggs once said that the Friends had to fix the damaged roof twice. Bagged sand is already sifted and dry so it makes sense to use that option.
John Cole
Conductor
Conductor

Return to Web Cameras