Who is it?

Tell us what interesting thing you saw on the web-cams.

Who is it?

Unread postby Edwin Frey » Mon Jun 17, 2013 12:49 pm

Looking at the webcam early this afternoon, I see a locomotive steaming in front of the east side of the engine house. Assuming that 487 is westbound from Antonito, and knowing that 488 and 489 went out eastbound this morning, could it be 463? The view is obscured by the light pole and the "whatchamacallit" next to the gons on the coaling tower stub. Just curious....
Mr. Ed
Avid fan of the C&TSRR, garden railroader, general gofer.
Definitely narrow (gauge) minded.
Edwin Frey
Engineer
Engineer

Re: Who is it?

Unread postby Pete Stagg » Mon Jun 17, 2013 4:23 pm

It is the 463 and it just moved, under it's own steam to the ash dump!
Pete Stagg

Unread postby Allan Kirkpatrick » Mon Jun 17, 2013 4:38 pm

After the ash dump, she moved back into or behind the engine house.
Does anyone know if she is inside or out and if she will remain under steam?
Allan Kirkpatrick
Engineer
Engineer

Unread postby Evan West » Mon Jun 17, 2013 6:09 pm

I didn't give it one last look as I was leaving this afternoon, but she probably will be in the engine house most of the night.

Keep your fingers crossed that she'll be heading out tomorrow to do some movie work near Antonito!
Evan West
Brakeman
Brakeman

Unread postby Edwin Frey » Mon Jun 17, 2013 6:57 pm

Finally got a good look at her. About 7:30PM, she pulled away from the engine house and went down to fill her cistern, backed up to the ash pit for another dump, then on the way back to the engine house, stopped for a big scoop of coal from the bucket loader. Interestingly, she's still wearing the box headlight, but not the fake diamond stack. Also, she's kept her own number, but the lettering on the tender is just a large font "D&RGW". At the moment, she's percolating back in front of the east stall of the engine house.
Mr. Ed
Avid fan of the C&TSRR, garden railroader, general gofer.
Definitely narrow (gauge) minded.
Edwin Frey
Engineer
Engineer

Unread postby Paul Davenport » Tue Jun 18, 2013 4:52 am

I wasn't in the yard until after the dump at the ash pit but saw the tender being filled at the tank. After the tender's tank was filled, there was some additional activity at the tank. I was told that the coal was being wet down, a treatment to dampen/cool the coal to regulate how it burns. During the second stop at the ash pit, there was a fair amount of water draining from the tender. Then went to the engine house for the single scoop of coal.
Paul Davenport
Engineer
Engineer

Unread postby mogulsmoke@sbcglobal.net » Tue Jun 18, 2013 3:36 pm

We saw her leave this morning in the lead on the passenger train to Antonito. Fantastic video this morning...Thanks to the Friends....
Ron
mogulsmoke@sbcglobal.net

Return to Web Cameras