No Parking zone....I wish

Tell us what interesting thing you saw on the web-cams.

No Parking zone....I wish

Unread postby theeditor50 » Mon Jun 10, 2013 6:23 am

For all good reasons related to coal loading, it makes sense for the engine being replenished with coal to be spotted near the coal tower. If even makes sense for the loader that often does the coaling duty before a run up the hill to be in nearly the same spot.

But I sure wish that the crew would not leave the engine steaming in that spot for long periods of time. I have noticed the last week that it is the customary spot to wait

The reason for my plea?

It's purely selfish for me as a far-away fan. but the engine sits and steams at leisure in the one spot in the entire yard where the camera on the tower can not see it Even if the engine is cooling its heels and not moving, it's a wonderful image to see a closeup of the K when you open the camera view on the Internet.

A suggestion. Does it matter operationally if the engine is moved 100 feet in either direction? If it doesn't, give us 'Net fans a little extra. We'd appreciate it.

David R
theeditor50

Re: No Parking zone....I wish

Unread postby Ed from Loveland » Mon Jun 10, 2013 8:35 am

The area where the locomotives are "parked" is actually over the ash pit, so placing the locomotive 100' one way or the other doesn't accomplish anything useful. It usually takes 10-20 minutes to get the job done there, then they move on to either the water tower (in the AM) or the engine house (in the PM). Also, in the late afternoon, the locomotives usually stop out of sight near the sand house, again only for a brief period. IMHO, the camera placements are in the best position for overall views of the action.
Ed from Loveland

Re: No Parking zone....I wish

Unread postby theeditor50 » Wed Jun 12, 2013 10:45 am

Since the first brief conversation on this topic, I have been watching the pattern or "parking" every day....Yes I know where the ash pit is, though I thought it was on one side. They seem to "park" on both sides of the coaling tower....In any case, my observation was not about the necessary operational details of engine maintainannce or the placement of the cameras, which indeed are the optimal spots...my point was that the crews are indeed parking under steam --this morning for hours...out of sight......Management can establish whatever rules it deems useful about when and how the engines are placed in the yard......
I am speaking only as a fan who uses the webcam to enhance my appreciation for the engines and the road in general... if there is an option that allows the engines to be seen by the cameras, why not make use of it?
theeditor50

Return to Web Cameras